Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Week 106 - "I am Sitting in a Room"

This is my cover version of Alvin Lucier's 1969 work "I am Sitting in a Room."  In this work of sound art, I use a cheap desktop microphone in an effort to recreate Lucier's classic recording with a different twist.  Unfortunately, I had a few disruptions along the way.





Narrative Text:
I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in now.
On second thought, I suppose it is possible that you are listening to this in my room.
In that case, how did you get in?  Do you have a key?
If so, that's kind of creepy, and I need to have a serious discussion with my landlord.
Anyway, just for fun, I'm going to record my voice and record the playback again and again using a cheap desktop microphone, until the natural resonant frequencies of the room reinforce themselves, articulated by speech and the static from the low fidelity recording process.

No comments:

Post a Comment