Sunday, January 5, 2014

Week 105 - "When Something Makes You Angry"

My New Year's Resolution last year was to become more actively involved in promoting children's mental health. My plan was to build a website with original songs and stories to help children learn coping skills. I didn't get quite as much work done on this as I hoped, because I was busy with frivolous things such as defending my dissertation, applying for jobs, moving, and having a new baby. So, I hope you'll forgive me for making less progress on this goal than hoped and allow me to renew the effort this year. If any of you have an idea for a song that would help children with coping strategies (perhaps inspired by issues you are facing with your own children), let me know and I will gladly write and record something.


Lyrics:
When something makes you angry, stop
And give yourself time to think
About just how you want to react.

Give yourself a moment
Take a deep breath
And then count to ten.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

And when you're through, then calmly explain,
What's upsetting you right now,
And the chances are better,
That you can think of a solution to the problem.
Yes, you can think of a solution to the problem when you give yourself time to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment