Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 36 - "Ode to Spot"

The text of this song is from the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Schisms" in which Data recites the poem "Ode to Spot," in honor of his pet cat.  I have also incorporated video clips from the show.  This is my most complex attempt at syncing audio with video clips thus far in the Year of Song project.

The instrumental track was entirely notated on Finale on the computer and played through the XV-5080 sound module.  I used Audacity to align the audio clips from the Star Trek episode with the Xv-5080 audio playback.

This song was played on the Dr. Demento Show on September 15, 2012.



Lyrics:
Data: Poets have composed odes to individuals who have had a profound effect upon their lives.  In keeping with that tradition, I have written my next poem in honor of my cat.  I call it, "Ode to Spot."

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses, yeah.

I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection, yeah.

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion,
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.

Data: Commander, you have anticipated my denouement.  However, the sentiment is appreciated.  I will continue.

O Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

O spot, you're a true and valued friend.

1 comment: