Monday, January 16, 2012

Collaboration

Full score of "Damascus" posted in Gracie Steavns' home studio.
Collaboration has begun on A Year of Song.  In chatting with my good friend Gracie, I got to hear about some of the home recording projects she has been working on.  Shortly thereafter, I asked if she would be interested in recording a new composition.  She enthusiastically agreed, so I composed a song entitled "Damascus" for violin trio and soprano.  Gracie has already produced some test recordings of it and suggested that the violin 3 part be played on the viola to provide a different color.  She recorded a version this way and I'm quite pleased with the result.  This is one of the things that I really love about collaborating - no matter how much a composer knows about music, the insight of the performer is incredibly valuable in providing information on how things actually play out.

I'm really excited by this collaboration, and I would love to get more of my musician friends involved.  I could, of course, return the favor by recording keyboard parts, etc. for your compositions.  All are welcome to e-mail me with ideas for collaboration!

No comments:

Post a Comment