Sunday, June 8, 2014

Week 127 - "The Gospel According to Mammon"

This is a "spoken word" piece that employs speaking and sprechstimme (half-spoken/half-sung).  It was performed by Viola Yip in New York City on May 11, 2014.


Lyrics:
The Lord has surely blessed me with all material blessings,
Because he knew my soul was righteous while I was yet in the womb.
But woe to those who were born into poverty, t-t-t-t-ty t-t-t-t-ty.
For they were conceived by the seeds of poverty, t-t-t-t-ty t-t-t-t-ty ty.
And were not blessed in the sight of the Lord.
Lord, have I not toiled and struggled?
This is why you Sssssatisfy my needsssss and desiressssss.
But you have condemned those who dare to live in poverty,
Who dare not to receive your material blessings,
Who dare to starve.





No comments:

Post a Comment